- A change in behavior, such as coming in later or leaving earlier.
- A decline in performance that's unrelated to external factors.
- Sudden complaints from a person who hasn't previously been a complainer
- Wistful references to other companies. Example: "I heard that so and so got a huge signing bonus at XYZ Corp."
- Reclusive behavior. Example: An employee who previously participated in meetings or volunteered for projects suddenly st`ys in the background or does just enough to get by.
Suggestion: Some companies periodically conduct what they call "stay interviews": They ask people how they feel about their assignments, company policies and the working environment.
At Hartford Life Insurance, the process starts within six months after an employee starts work. Managers hold formal sessions with each individual and ask for evaluation of the company.
- Adapted from "Hiring and Keeping the Best People," Harvard Business School Press